Strategies how to negotiate difficult canals
Gianluca Plotino & Nicola Grande
After the access to root canal system and the localization of root canal orifices, the most difficult step during endodontic treatment is represented by the need to scout the root canals and to create a safe and predictable glide path. In fact, complex cases in endodontic primary treatments mainly depend on the initial permeability of the canals to their terminus and on the presence or the absence of a natural glide path. Following these considerations, the present lecture will analyze the different possible clinical scenarios, first considering the cases in which an initial manual scouting is successful to negotiate the canal to its terminus, then describing why in some cases there are difficulties to the negotiation caused by coronal or apical impediments and how to clinically deal with these situations.
Step by step of the clinical procedures on how to manage canals with difficult scouting will be clearly explained and showed through the use of images and videos of explicative clinical cases, in order to ensure the clinician with gold standard endodontic treatments.
Dr. Gianluca Plotino
- DDS, PhD
- Graduated in dentistry from the Catholic University of Sacred Heart of Rome in 2002.
- He received the “Alfred Bean Memorial” prize from the Chicago Dental Society for the best Italian research graduate thesis 2001-2003, the «Hans Genet Award» from the European Society of Endodontology for the best European Researcher in 2013 and several other research prizes.
- He became Assistant Professor of Endodontics in the School of Dentistry at the Catholic University of Rome spending his time teaching, giving lectures and partecipating in the faculty practice.
- Dr. Plotino was Professor of Endodontics in the School of Dental Hygiene from 2005 to 2008 at the Catholic University of Rome where he obtained his PhD in 2009. From 2009 he is working in the Department of Endodontics at the “Sapienza” – University of Rome as Senior Lecturer and Professor of Scientific English in the School of Dental Hygiene until 2017.
- In 2017 he received the certification to be Professor of II level and in 2018 to be Professor of I level in.
- Gianluca Plotino is a certified member of the European Society of Endodontology (ESE), International Member of the American Association of Endodontists (AAE), active member of the Italian Society of Conservative Dentistry (SIDOC) and the Italian Academy of Endodontics (AIE).
- Dr. Plotino published more that 90 articles in scientific peer-reviewed journals on different endodontic and restorative topics and contributed with numerous chapters in textbooks.
- He is Associate Editor of the European Endodontic Journal and the Italian Journal of Endodontics and part of the Editorial Board of several other journals.
- Dr. Plotino has given several lectures, courses and hands-on courses worldwide and he also works in his own private practice limited to endodontics and restorative dentistry in Rome, Italy.